Friday, May 11, 2012

Can nail polish expire?

Based on a recent experience I had with nail polish, yes, I do believe it can go off.

Only recently I received (well purchased I suppose) a small bag of makeup goodies from a garage sale/charity type thing where at the end of the day they were trying to get rid of them and I donated a token amount for it. Within that bag, well, the makeup wasn't all that magnificent but there were one or two things that were worth it.

Inside was an Avon nail polish, or rather 'Nail Soother' which I was quite curious about. The chunky, angular bottle with the gold topped cap looked rather classy and had it not had 'Avon' written all over it, I would have presumed that it was of a more expensive brand.

Anyhow, as soon as I opened it there was a foul smell. It was so strong and potent. I don't know what possessed me to put it on my nail, but it was very much a failure anyway. Much like oil in a fry pan, rather than a thin layer coating the nail evenly, it drew back into 'blobs' that sat on the nail and slid around all over the place. What on Earth?

I haven't even experienced anything like this before, but can nail polish go off? No just separate of change colour a little, I mean really go off!

4 comments:

  1. I know nail varnish can separate but I'm not sure about expiring. I know make up normally come with those month guides on their bottles. But I've had a nail varnish that literally lasted years [I'm speaking of at least seven]. Would be interesting to see what others know on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, seven years is a long time! I had never had any trouble with a nail polish but this one had such an awful smell. I've never really thought about nail polishes going off, but there you go!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my nail polishes are fairly new so they work and are just fine. Recently I was at a friends and was looking through and trying her nail polishes. She said she didn't want them anymore and could have them so I took two OPI bottles. When I tried to paint my nails with them it was all gloopy and thick and it took forever to dry. I even tried nail polish thinner but it didn't do any good so in the bin they went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that is such a pain, especially considering how expensive OPI is.
      x

      Delete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...