Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The big chop - My terrifying haircut!

Okay, I'll give you a bit of background information about my hair. Earlier today it was long, very long, 80cm long in fact. (If you are wondering about the accuracy of this measurement, I pulled out three hairs, measured them and they were lengths of 80cm, 80cm and 79cm) It wasn't styled with layers, although there were some slight layers framing my face at the front. When my hair was down, when I sat on a chair it just touched the seat. It's pretty thick, so it gave me headaches when it was pulled back in a ponytail. There was too much for an attractive looking bun, and it would get too knotty when I wore it down, so my hairstyles were as follows: ponytail, plait, ponytail, plait, repeat. Was my hair particularly attractive? No, not really. So why did I have it like that?

Because when you have long hair you get ridiculously attatched to it.

It took months of convincing myself that a chop would be a good idea. Months of of friends telling me that it wouldn't look any different, and that I should cut 20cm, 30cm off!

I only cut about 10cm but it feels like half my hair is gone! I will miss the 'Wow you are like rapunzel!' 'I wish I had hair like yours,' and 'I used to have hair like that but then I cut it all off and it never grew back ever again - never ever cut your hair!' kind of comments. Even the ridiculous 'you have long hair' comments, to which I responded with 'Really?! Thanks for telling me, it could have been dangerous had you not informed me of that!' I will miss. A long haired friend of mine, who recently cut it off to shoulder length in fact (and sold it for $1000) said the comments I will get now are 'Oh wow you look so much better, seriously you looked disgusting before but now you look great!' and 'Did you cut your hair?' (to which she responds with 'No I just grew it shorter.')

As you can see in the pictures, my hair looks soooooo much nicer now. Admittedly, in the before photo it was half wet so it looks a lot scrappier than it actually was, but I am so glad I cut it.

Before
After
Maybe you don't think it is much of a change, I get that I am being a little ridiculous and exaggerating slightly, but seriously, to me it is as if I have shaved my head bald!

I do like it much better - it feels thicker, healthier and really does look more attractive, but honestly, it's so strange. Everytime I touch it it stops so early, and brushing it does my head in! It is still a little too blunt for my liking - a little bit harsh and bleurgh, but it's alright.

Anyway, I would love to hear about any of your hair stories. Are you precious about your hair, or are you the spontaneous 'How about we colour it bright red and hack it all off!' kind of person?

10 comments:

  1. It looks so nice, I love your hair!
    I'm the same with hair cuts, they can be so scary!
    I always feel so free after them though!
    Love your blog, keep up the good work!
    Sharon
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks Sharon - I've always been terrified of haircuts, but at least hair grows back! Glad you like my blog :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for a while now but thought I would finally comment! I don't particularly love my hair, I can't really do anything with it because of the thickness. But whenever it's been really long for a while, I'll want to cut it. Then when I actually cut it the slightest bit, I want it back! I love my long hair. Such a great blog by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mikaela, thanks for commenting, I love getting comments! :) Long hair is awesome, but I don't know about short hair because I've never been brave enough to get it really short! Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoy my blog!
      x

      Delete
  4. Love the blog!! I know too well about being attached to long hair... only a few months ago I chopped my ridiculously long hair up to my shoulders in a layered bob..... I'm not regretting it but I do miss it at times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That sounds like a terribly scary chop! Still, I'm glad you like your new style, it sounds really lovely!
      x

      Delete
  5. Good on you for cutting it a bit shorter. At least hair always grows back :) I think the shorter length is much more manageable and it does look better, though it's still quite long. I imagine it takes a while to get used to. I'm not precious about my hair, I usually get a hair cut every 12-18 months only because I dislike going to the hair salon. By that stage, my hair is fairly long and because it's very thick, I'm normally very eager to just chop it off because it gets hard to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is certainly a relief knowing that hair does grow back! :) Even after a day, I have noticed that it is a lot easier to manage and seems to be a lot healthier and shinier - I am glad I cut it. I can't imagine being eager to chop my hair, but if it works for you then I think it is cool that it is something you look forward to!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blog. You have beautiful hair.
    -Varsha
    http://warflower-theinnerme.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...