Friday, January 18, 2013

NOTD - Purple sparkles

First up let's get this out there - this NOTD was way out of my comfort zone. Glitter polishes are not something I am familiar with, and unless I am dressing up as a crazy character or attending a crazy disco party (because I have totally gone to a thousand of them) then I don't ever wear them, not even on my toes. In addition to that, dark purples, blacks and blues are not polishes I tend to wear on my fingernails either. I have no idea why I decided to combine both of my nail polish 'fears' in one NOTD, but here is the result, and I don't like it.



When I saw the Essence Snow White polish in Evil Queen, I loved it. I thought it was just the greatest thing and I imagined myself using it all the time. I have since changed my mind.

I still think the whole glittery polish itself is quite pretty (mind you I only like it on other people) but the formula was really hard to work with. I couldn't distribute the hexagon shaped glitter chunks evenly, and the more I went over it to spread them out the more base coat I found myself stripping off, leaving uneven bald patches. Sounds pretty, doesn't it? It also made the base purple colour considerably darker in colour, and I'm not terribly keen on the result. Perhaps even more frustrating than all of that, was that it took so long to dry. I applied this two hours before I went to bed, and then when I woke up the following morning it was all smudged and had imprints in it. It looked awful. And, to top it all off, I found this ridiculously difficult to remove (because I removed it almost as soon as I put it on!) Not impressed Essence!

The bast coat was a Mini Miki polish that doesn't appear to have a name.

So basically, I really, really don't like the way this NOTD looks. I think it looks strange, tacky and just poorly done. I can almost guarantee that should anyone else have attempted to do this they would have been successful at creating a look I was jealous of, but I just didn't nail it this time (excuse the pun).


12 comments:

  1. Aw, I think it actually looks quite nice on your nails! Glitter nail polishes can be hard to work with and that Essence one seems like one of them. One of my biggest pet peeves is nail polish that takes ages to dry, ugh! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I think the fact that I'm not terribly confident with purples AND glitter meant that there was a slim chance I was going to like it! I also hate nail polish that takes forever to dry. Now that there are so many fast drying polishes out there I think there is no reason to spend an hour waiting!
      x

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you don't like it Candice because I totally LOVE it on you! Of course you know how much I love purple AND glitter :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww haha! I'm glad somebody likes it! True true, it is certainly more suited to you than me!
      xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, i think the sparkle bits are too big. maybe if they were smaller they'd look really cute on any nail polish ;)


    YURI
    http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm yes, perhaps smaller sparkles would have been easier to work with!
      xx

      Delete
  4. What a shame that this nail polish disappointed you! Formulas which are difficult to work with are my pet hate, and glitters are just hell to remove (it takes forever!). Despite this, the NOTD still looks quite good in your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take soooo long to get rid of glitter polishes! Thanks, glad you think it is alright :)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I 100% agree with you about this nail polish. I was so excited to use this when I purchased it, but when I actually put it on it was a disaster. This is definitely one of the worst 'glitters' I've tested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a disaster, which was so very disappointing because like you, I was so excited about using this! I don't buy glitters often so when I do, I must think it looks pretty good. To have this turn out like it did was such a pain!
      x

      Delete
  6. I like this look on your nails! I honestly think you did a great job and the glitter looks pretty well dispersed and really pretty with the purple base :) But I agree, Evil Queen is very hard to work with :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I tried my hardest but admittedly I am lacking in glitter-polish-applying-skills and I struggled with the polish.
      xx

      Delete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...