Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Revlon Lip Butter in Gumdrop

It's pretty difficult to escape the hype that breaks out in the beauty world when a new product comes onto the scene. The Revlon Lip Butters caught my attention as soon as they came out, but their arrival in Australia proved a disappointment when 22 dollar price tags were slapped across their pretty quilted packaging. I vowed to pick at least one up, after all I wasn't going to be the only one who didn't have one. Sweet Tart on sale for $15, then Berry Smoothie for $10 seemed like good deals at the time but it got even better when I spotted Gumdrop and Brown Sugar for a measly $4 at Target. Yes please!

Despite that the shade Gumdrop had never caught my attention previously, for $4 I figured I couldn't really go wrong. I've since changed my mind.

If I'm really honest, it's not a horrendous shade. It's not like it's bright blue or tennis ball yellow, but purple lipsticks never have been and probably never will be my favourite, even if they are super sheer.

Gumdrop really is a light lilac shad, glossy and rather sheer but noticeable all the same. It has some tiny, tiny shimmer but it's considerably more noticeable in the bullet than on the lips.

When I apply it on my pigmented lips, it just looks plain ridiculous. It appears as though there is a white/purple cast over my pink lips and it's a little ghostly.  Though I appreciate that the purple aspect of this lip butter is just my personal taste, I don't think anyone finds a corpse lip pretty. It's not an extreme look, in fact, those who are more daring than me in this department would probably scoff at my hesitance with this lip butter because in reality, it's a lot more subtle than it is bold. Still, I know I am not the only one out there who doesn't like to venture into purple lip territory.

Moving on past the shade to the formulation...as is with the case with all their lip butters, they are smooth, creamy and darn easy to work with. They can be applied quickly with no fuss and last a couple of hours (without eating and drinking).

Gumdrop is not nearly as pigmented as Berry Smoothie and Sweet Tart, due to the nature of the colour of course.

The quilted packaging has proven to be a hit with many. I personally don't love it but it's by no means awful either. I love that the colour of the tube changes in accordance with the lip butter shade because it means it is easily identifiable when you are sifting through your lipsticks for the shade you want. The silver tube and black base is classy and stable.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with Gumdrop. It's unlikely that I will warm to it and it certainly won't be one of my most used shades, but I feel a bit bad having it sit there completely ignored in my collection. Perhaps I can combine it with another shade that doesn't work either...who knows, but this was a bit of a silly purchase.

Well, for only $4 it's no great loss but I wouldn't bother with Gumdrop if I saw it again. I would love to hear your thoughts about this if you have tried it because I think many ladies out there might get on well with it, but for me it just didn't work.

Sadly I can only give this 6 out of 10.


10 comments:

  1. I don't think I can pull off purple, no matter how sheer it is. But $4 is a great price for RLBs. I really want to pick up more of the pigmented shades :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some of the loveliest shades in the range...the new ones look pretty good!
      x

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't even look twice at a purple lip product because I know that I cant do purple lips, haha! Maybe it was formulated so sheerly in order to not scare off people from purchasing/ using it. But I agree for $4 its not a big cost and you can always try and work out how to wear it, maybe by layering it with another lip balm/lipstick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the sheer finish being a way of not scaring people off! I hope that I can find a way to use it, like layering it with other lip products like you mentioned.
      x

      Delete
  3. I like purple.but not lilac! I use to have this shade, but it looked ridiculous on my pigmented lips! I tried making it work, but I just gave it away :(
    Anyway, the photos you took are lovely! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For pigmented lips it gives this really strange whitish cast over the lips...it doesn't look terribly flattering! Thank you!
      x

      Delete
  4. It might have been sale syndrome where you see something for so cheap that you convince yourself you want it, when really you just want to buy it because of the price tag. Haha! Nonetheless, until you decide what to do with it, the colour of the packaging is lovely enough to decorate your collection for the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right about the sale syndrome...a lip butter for $4 could not be walked past! It is a pretty addition to my collection...hopefully it can become a usable addition too!
      x

      Delete
  5. What a shame you didn't like it too much! I love purple lipsticks etc so this one is probably right up my alley, yet I haven't purchased it for whatever reason! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go you, I am jealous of people who can pull off purple!
      x

      Delete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...