Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Revlon Lip Butter in Brown Sugar

Revlon Lip Butters are absolute staples in so many makeup collections. The only problem? They're not cheap. Sure, you can buy them for a dismal price in comparison to YSL lipsticks, but $21.95 isn't exactly affordable...especially when you want one of every colour in the range.

Imagine how excited I was when I was on holidays, stumbled into Target and saw this little beauty marked down to only $4 (along with its sibling in Gumdrop)! Although the shade Brown Sugar wouldn't be my first preference in the Lip Butter range, I thought a sheer brown couldn't be all that bad. Perhaps it could be the loveliest nude.

Well, much like Gumdrop, this wasn't exactly like I was expecting. For a start, Brown Sugar was pigmented. In fact, it was probably the most pigmented all of the ones I owned. It was also quite a dark brown...think melted chocolate. Hmmm…

I have quite pigmented red toned lips naturally, so the combination of red and dark brown, is, uh, interesting. Don't get me wrong, it's not ghastly in the same fashion that I found Gumdrop to be, and it's certainly not completely unwearable, it just feels a little old fashioned. I feel like I've aged about 50 years when I wear this (which is something I really don't love!). I think it also doesn't really help that I have super pale skin - I'm literally as white as a ghost - and therefore it is just so dark. I expect on darker skin this could be quite a lovely 'my lips but better' kind of colour.

As is the case with all lip butters, this is lovely and moisturising. It has a very slight shimmer to it which does show up on the lips. It lasts an acceptable amount of time but does fade when eating and drinking. Sadly it has no scent (none of the lip butters do, but how amazing would it be if they did?!) but at least it doesn't smell bad.

All in all, this is actually a really lovely lip product if I had the skin tone and the lips to match it! If you've got darker skin and more brown toned lips then I really think this could be a wonderful product.

I give this 6/10.

17 comments:

  1. I don't think this colour would suit me either, too mature and brown for me! But I know some other people like it :) $4 is a steal though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know other people really love it, and for $4!
      x

      Delete
  2. I'm not too keen on brown lip products either as they just would not suit me. I must try one of the lip butters though because I've never had the chance to.
    Have a great day!
    -Sophie xo
    http://itssophiebella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try a lip butter, they are so good! Just make sure you get a shade you know you would wear, especially if you end up paying full price.
      x

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry this shade didn't work out that well for you. It's one of my favorite shades though, its good for a nude lippie on me, since my lips are so reddish pink in the first place. They are lovely in general and they are also much more expensive here in singapore than compared to the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear that it worked for you. It's so frustrating that makeup is soooo much more expensive overseas than in the US :(

      Delete
  4. Oh wow this is a steal for $4, but it's such a shame the colour is not your type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing bargain...although I do wish I could find a way to make it work for me!
      x

      Delete
  5. ooh that looks really nice http://meforless.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice color, but not sure it can suit to everyone :-)
    International giveaway on my blog :-)). Check it out!

    www.mademoisellenature.blogspot.com

    have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this one way too brown for me as well, at least swatching it in Priceline when the Lip Butters were first released. I do have Gumdrop and even though it's a bit out there and probably not all that flattering, I love it because it's so unique. $4 is such a steal though, maybe you can sheer the colour out or dilute it with some plain, colourless lip balm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gumdrop is definitely unique! I'm going to try my very best to make these lip butters wearable!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. $21?? That's insane! I forget how expensive brands like revlon can be outside of the US!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really care for this colour either :( browns make me look like I have food on my mouth

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...