Wednesday, December 4, 2013

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream - Istanbul

So even though I love living in Australia, when it comes to makeup sometimes we just can't compete with our American and British counterparts. Sure, we have some killer products from brands Face of Australia and Australis that are exclusive to Australians only, but it doesn't really make up for the gazillions of other brands we can't get hold of (or if we can, they are twenty times as expensive). 

However, sometimes a very special thing happens whereby a brand makes it to our shores, like when Essence came onto the Target scene, and we go crazy (as is to be expected). This happened very recently for me when NYX decided to make itself comfortable on the shelves of Target once again.

I eagerly went out swatching all the products and came home with this little beauty, the NYX Soft matte lip cream in Istanbul. This is one of those products that I have had my eye on for so damn long, practically since I started this blog, and now I finally own it is is just magical!

Though no amount of online photographs and swatches will ever be as good as swatching a product in real life, I knew this was the shade for me from the beginning. An incredibly beautiful warm toned pink, this is perhaps one of the most wearable and flattering shades that I own. 

In terms of the formulation, NYX wasn't wrong when they called it a soft matte lip cream. Soft, matte and creamy it most certainly is, though the addition of 'slightly drying' could have been included in the name just to make it that bit more accurate. This is of course to be expected with a matte lip product, but it is a little frustrating because I can't really wear it everyday because my lips get all gross and flaky! When you are actually wearing the product it is really comfortable and you can easily forget that you are even wearing anything. 

This does accentuate any dry areas you already have so a good lip balm needs to be lathered on prior to application. This is so easy and fuss free to apply, it literally requires no special attention. I find the lasting power of this to be amazing...once it has dried it withstands eating, drinking and general wear and tear for a couple of hours. 

This has a lovely fragrance, almost like a cake or baked goodies type smell. Having said that, it isn't too overpowering and therefore probably wouldn't bother someone who is sensitive to smells too much. 

I'm really fond of the simple but effective packaging. The tube is coloured in accordance to the product so if you own a whole heap of these you can find the shade you are looking for in an instant. The top of the wand is matte black (reflective of the nature of the lip product, obviously) and it comes with a doe foot applicator (my favourite). It also makes that satisfying 'thwop' sound when you pull the wand out of the tube at the right speed (does anyone know that sound I am talking about, it happens most often with sticky lipglosses!). 

Perhaps the only disappointing thing about this is that the prices are significantly higher than they are in America (of course, always is the way) which didn't occur with the introduction of Essence to Australia. Still, they're hardly expensive, it is more that I am just bitter about the fact that we have to pay so much more than everyone else! This cost $12.95.

I am so looking forward to purchasing some more products from NYX...I have a feeling this brand is going to be my new favourite!

I give this product 8/10.


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know right?! Isn't it the most perfect pink shade ever...
      x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you are loving Istanbul as well. The scent is to die for, I just wish they had more light colours in the range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an appealing scent, and the shade is just gorgeous. I agree though, a larger range would be lovely...
      x

      Delete
  3. This was my very first NYX purchase haha I love how soft it is when applying but I found that it went flakey after a bit of wear which is dissapointing. Maybe I should have put a lip balm over it and it would have not been so dry and would have faded better. Either way, I am so happy that NYX has arrived in Australia although I agree with you about being annoyed that we pay so much more than everyone else when it comes to makeup (and most other things for that matter!)
    Great review, I was actually going to do one on this product as well in the next week or so hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too (well, in conjunction with one of the cream blushes which I bought at the same time). That's so disappointing - I haven't had it happen to me yet, fingers crossed. I absolutely hate how Aussies pay so much more for makeup. Argh! :)
      x

      Delete
  4. We just got NYX in our target too! The first thing I picked up was a matte lip creme :)
    I love these and the cake scent; it reminds me of icing with the scent and texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a lovely product all round! The addition of NYX to Target is just so exciting...although I am sure my wallet won't appreciate it!
      x

      Delete
  5. loved the shade...will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot prettier than I thought it would be - I'm not planning on picking up any of the matte lip creams because I think I would wear the butter glosses a whole lot more, but you look great with this on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't heard very much about the butter glosses...I might look into them!
      x

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love this shade, but it looks a bit horrid on my lips. I can only wear it on 'good lip' days haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how it can look so different on everyone!
      x

      Delete
  8. This looks so good :) I've wanted to try one for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and couldn't recommend it enough. NYX have some beautiful shades in the range! x

      Delete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...