Saturday, January 10, 2015

Getting personal with new years resolutions

I am one of those people who get all reflective when the new year comes around, so much so that I think less about starting afresh like most people and more about what happened the year before.

2014 was a shocking year, one of more bad than good. Undertaking year 12 whilst struggling immensely with severe depression was a recipe for disaster and had a heavy impact on so many close to me. It has been a year of struggle and suffering but one of learning too, and I am in a position where I couldn't be more ready for change.

I considered making resolutions, I really did, but coming from a place where some days I literally cannot get myself out of bed, I wasn't terribly hopeful about my chances of upholding legitimate resolutions. Instead there is one thing that I would like to work towards with no expectation of fully achieving it, and that is simply working towards happiness.

Ugh, so cliche, so broad. But it means a lot to me, and I hope to maintain a mindset whereby each day, each decision, each moment, I will consider if it will allow me to work towards happiness. Perhaps this will give me more direction whilst also allowing me complete freedom. Each opportunity presented will be assessed solely by one criterion: will this make me happy? Who knows where this idea could take me, or if I can attempt to live this way because I certainly haven't been doing so thus far.

It applies to everything in my life. For instance with my blog, I want to place no more expectations on myself concerning posting. If posting four times a week makes me happy then I shall, if it is once a month that makes me happier I will do that instead.

I look forward to a year of getting better and recovering, and there is even a little hint of excitement about what University might hold.

12 comments:

  1. I find it so saddening that so many people, students and adults, put so much pressure on the last year(s) of high school. It's really not worth the emotional and psychological toll it can take on some. I hope university is a change for you. What are you studying?

    xx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a stressful year, but hopefully 2015 will be a little different, more enjoyable. I'm studying Speech Pathology which I am really looking forward to because I'm so passionate about it. x

      Delete
    2. Oh yes I remember now! My friend will be graduating from that degree in a couple of months. It will be a very rewarding career =)

      Delete
    3. I hope so, thank you so much! x

      Delete
  2. Aw, Candice, I'm so sorry to hear that 2014 was so hard on you. I really hope that 2015 brings better times :) xx

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely understand what you're going through. Last year I had a rough year myself. I struggled with a lot of anxiety, panic attacks, and ER visits brought on by health issues. I was under so much stress that I ended up very depressed and with that I brought on whole new health issues, headaches, couldn't eat, and losing weight extremely quickly. Then I felt a lot of guilt not keeping up my blog during this time. I also lost interest in makeup, which is something that always brought me so much happiness. It seemed like it was never ending and like I would never feel good/normal/happy again. It's been a long road. While I still struggle with bits of anxiety, I'm much healthier today than I was six months ago. I myself have a lot to look forward to this year as I'm expecting my third baby, my first baby girl! I'm not a doctor but try to find a bit of happiness in every day. I know it can be hard but try to remain positive. If you ever want to talk or anything please feel free to email me any time. I hope you have a much brighter year than last! Sorry for the long post but I just want you to know that you are not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you are so lovely! What you wrote I can completely relate to, it took over so many aspects of my life and everything I was once interested and passionate about I no longer cared for. That is such exciting news that you're having a baby girl! What a blessing! Thank you ever so much for your kindness. xxxx

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles the past year, and unfortunately I faced many of my own too, so I can somewhat relate in terms of your struggle with depression.
    I'm really happy to hear that you're on the mend, and just know that 2015 is going to be a better year for everyone! Best of luck with your Uni studies, I know you'll do well :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Jasmine. I agree, I think 2015 will be a good year for all of us. xx

      Delete
  5. I've just found your blog and I think it's really inspiring, it will be an honor for me if you can visit mine too, and if you want to follow, it will be a pleasure to follow you back! :) <3

    By the way I am having a cute giveaway on my blog, you can win a lollipop necklace, I hope you join and If you do, good luck, I hope you win! <3

    Fashion gets Fierce.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Opinions? Feel free to comment as I love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...